Thursday, December 01, 2005

A day (afternoon-ish) in the life of me



11:00am I find out the school counselor is not at school today and will not be able to come in to teach my class the problem solving unit she's working with them on.

11:05am I decide I will do Read Aloud and then start teaching cursive for the first time in the school year.

11:30am In the middle of the cursive lesson a student yells out, "IT'S SNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

11:31am All of a sudden seven kids "have a runny nose and need to get a tissue" that are conveniently located on a table near the window they want to watch the snow through.

11:40am I've lost them. Seriously. Lost them. I atttempt to continue cursive.

12:00 I take them to lunch, telling them they HAVE to wear a coat outside to enjoy the snow.

12:30pm I pick up the SOAKING WET kids outside and they squeek down the hallway to the classroom.

12:45pm We do a quick division poster activity.

1:15pm I show the kids how to make super ornate snowflakes using really cool patterns.

1:20pm I proceed to have to cut out a bunch of the (insert whiney voice here) "REALLY HARD" parts for almost all 27 kids. But really, they had fun. And we even talked about symmetry!

1:45pm Our Principal comes over the loudspeaker, "It is very snowy outside and I know everyone is excited. We will have last recess outside but the field is off-limits for safety reasons. If you are wearing shorts or you don't have a coat, you may not go outside."

1:47pm A student comes up to me with an extremely pained look on his face, "Why can't short people go out to recess?

1:48pm I laugh out loud.

1:50pm Recess

2:15pmThe students come inside and we sit in silence to "listen to the snow."

2:20pm They leave for Library.

2:21pm I do the happy snow dance and drink some hot chocolate while I get the room ready for Friday. Which I don't think will be a snow day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

How fun! Its funny how snow will do that. I Wouldn't know... but hope to find out soon!

6:32 AM

 
Blogger Sarah Meitner said...

"Why can't short people go out?" THAT IS ADORABLE. I love the cute things little ones say. Sounds like a fun (but cold) day. Stay warm!

9:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home