Tuesday, July 05, 2005

AK-49


We were in Girdwood for the weekend, a small ski resort town, enjoying some hippie time at the Girdwood Forest Fair. There's a lot of booths, selling an inordinate amount of jewelry, pottery, and wood stuff. There's also an extreme amount of food to eat, enough to make you sick. My mom kept saying, "I've never been in the beer garden! This year I'm going to go in the beer garden!" Did she? No. As we walked past it, the people inside looked sad and depressed. After commenting how they looking like animals caged up at a zoo, she walked on and that was that. Yes, I know, every exciting stuff here.
I told T the way you can tell if someone is a real hippie is if they are wearing shoes or not. If they aren't wearing shoes in ALASKA, they're a hippie. We stayed at the same cabin we have rented for years which was fun. There was a little journal for the guests to write in at the cabin and the group that was there before us had seen two bears on the back deck! We were disappointed to go home at the end of the weekend having not encountered any bears, or moose for that matter.
We enjoyed "The Bourne Identity" and "The Bourne Supremacy", ate too much kettle corn, and tried to sleep despite the crazy sunshine ALL DAY AND NIGHT. T even tacked up some sheets and blankets over our window to block out the light, which helped a lot. The picture in the post is something T took off the back porch at the cabin in Girdwood this weekend. That is in fact snow!
Now we're back in Anchor-town. The 4th of July wasn't too exciting here but that was alright with us. It was my Mamasita's birthday so we celebrated with a B-B-Q and rootbeer floats. Yes, we're pretty damn hardcore. As for fireworks. . . well as T says, "What fireworks?" The city of Anchorage always does a "big" display on the evening of the 4th, well at midnight so it's technically the 5th of July, and it's STILL light out then so its not all that spectacular. So, we went to bed and slept through them. I know, we're probably huge disappointments to most, but we're alright with that too.
All T and I can talk about lately is getting a dog. I think a puppy will be our 2-year-anniversary present to each other. Right now we're reading How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend by The Monks of New Skete. It's excellent and I've already learned a lot about training a dog that I didn't know. Go figure, considering I've never had one! No one is really surprised since we bought our house in March, I figure it was a puppy or a kid and for now, a puppy is the choice we've made.
By the way, I'm 24 today. I've heard rumors there will be dinner and an ice-cream cake involved. I'm happy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

HAPPY B-DAY!

Your weekend sounds great, despite the bright sky. I forgot about that! The pic is amazing, makes me want to go so bad! Maybe I'll go on a cruise there some day soon. Too bad you did not see a moose. That would have been cool.

10:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home