Friday, July 13, 2007

City Girl

Let me start by saying I love being outside. I even normally like camping. I like being in the mountains, lakes, rivers, etc. etc. etc. So we went camping. Well, let me rephrase that. We were going to camp for two nights, at a nice place (recommended by a friend of the Husband) near a gorgeous lake that was about 2 hours from our house.

We got there on Wednesday, that also happened to be the hottest July 11th on record for over 50 years, in 98 degree heat. We got out of the car and were immediately dripping with sweat. That was the first problem. The second? THE BUGS OH MY GOD THE BUGS. Flying, diving, attacking bugs. We're suffering from a multitude of mosquito bites acquired on the trip. We set up camp, swatting at the blood-suckers while Rex rolled in the dirt to cool off and avoid the damn insects. The lake was calling to us so we found a trail and headed out. It was glorious. Now seems to be the time to let you know I am not really a water person. I like to look at it, dip my feet in, and admire it from afar, taking pictures and whatnot. By this time it was 100 degrees without a breeze so I managed to get in the water. The best part of the lake was the lack of bugs. The bad news? No camping allowed right by the lake. Insert sad face here.

We only stayed one night and high-tailed it out the next morning around 9:00. I'm so freaking happy to be home it's ridiculous. If it wasn't for the insane insects and the out of control heat, we might have stayed longer.

P.S. Yes, we sprayed (pretty much non-stop) bug dope on all day long. It had DEET (which everyone said was "the best"). Ours must have been a crap batch or something. We're going to try to go see Harry Potter today and we're bringing the Hydrocortisone cream with us. Gross.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home