Saturday, March 25, 2006

What is wrong with people?

Case #1:
My dad is the most loving, compassionate, and nurturing guy ever. He loves kids so much he's been a teacher, counselor, and yes, father. So when he told me on the phone tonight he has something embarrassing to tell me, I was a bit curious.
He went to the grocery store a few days ago and he saw a toddler (about 1 1/2 or 2 years old) sitting on the floor of the store, crying. He didn't want to get up, obviously. The little boy's father walked over to him and KICKED him, hard. My dad saw him do this (as did other people, none of which did anything about it) and he walked over to the asshole, saying something to the effect of you don't have to kick him, can't we talk and work something out? The man mumbles something and proceeds to PUNCH MY FATHER IN HIS MOUTH! Luckily, my dad ducked a bit and only got a small cut on his lip from the guy's ring. My dad said he went into automatic self-defense mode and hit him back, under his jaw. I'm proud to say the guy dropped. So, the cops were called and my dad didn't press charges (although I think he should have) but he says all he cares about is the kid being safe and he's hoping Child Protective Services gets involved. Of course my dad isn't in any trouble because he was acting in self defense. It's so unbelievable to me to imagine my 64-year-old father in a fight but when I think about how he feels about children, I smile a little bit and know he did the right thing in a really crappy situation.

Case #2: This doesn't really have anything to do with people per say, but it does have to do with THE MAN, IA the government. We were really excited to file our taxes this year because last March we bought a house and EVERYONE told us we would get so much money back from the purchase/interest on the mortgage/etc. The not-so-cool-part we actually discovered after spending hours getting intimate with Turbo Tax? WE FREAKING OWE SO MUCH MONEY. Apparently because last year was the first full year we were both working, our incomes combined puts us at a high tax bracket. The most hilarious part? We're teachers! I digress. . .But not for long.

Case #3: I just made airline reservations for summer vacation in Alaska. A week ago when I looked online tickets from Seattle to Anchorage were $340 but I waited until my new Alaska Airlines Visa came in the mail before making the reservations today. Surprise, surprise, the prices went up, to over $400! I could no longer get double miles for money spent on a ticket from Alaska Airlines using my new Visa (because Alaska Airline was the place the tickets went over $400), but I did find tickets on Continental for $350 each. Happily, I booked the flight on my new visa and at least got 700 miles. Here comes the real clincher. We decided we are taking Rex with us to AK. My mom isn't exactly singing in the rain about it but she'll learn to love him. I hope. So last week I looked into taking him with us and found out it would cost $75/each way, which is a bit pricey but he's our baby so we'll pay $150 to spend the three weeks with him. I called Continental and just about screamed out loud when the friendly costumer service agent told me how much it would cost. . . $240 each way! Does the dog get out and play at doggie daycare down in the cargo hold? I don't think so! Does he get doggie champagne and a steak dinner?
The Husband? "Think about the money we're saving from not getting the tickets on Alaska Air, that's $100 so really it's like it will only cost $400 for the dog. Let's just consider it our anniversary present to each other."
My comment? "And my birthday present, and your birthday present, and Easter, and every holiday for awhile . . . "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home